Friday 19 October 2012

Hospital Appointments.

This week I have had to attend two hospital appointments, both which were booked last year so they were just check ups really.

First Appointment.

The first one was a visit to a cardiologist on Monday. (I have a thickening of the heart valve), We arrived at the cardiology dept and I was struck how clean it was. At reception I was given a number and told to wait for my number to be called, this bit makes it very impersonal and I don't know why it is done like that.
My number was called so Lucy and I went in the cubicle, I knew the routine as I had to have a ECG, before I saw the doctor. The health care assistant was lovely and both Lucy and I had a lovely chat to her. The ECG was done so we were asked to go back to the waiting room. Within a couple of minutes my name was called this time and I wasn't a number anymore. My blood pressure was taken and it was a bit high and again we got asked to go back to the waiting room, Within minutes my name was called again and we went into see the doctor.

My cardiologist is lovely and I think he was shocked how my mobility has gone down hill. Last time I saw him I was walking and took the bus etc...
After moaning to him why I was like this and how fed up I was (I felt sorry for him it wasn't his fault), he told me some good news that my heart condition hadn't got any worse. He wished me luck in getting what I wanted and as we left the hospital , we knew that he couldn't help my plight but at least he was sympathetic.

 Second Appointment.

The second appointment was the biggy, this doctor I knew could help me he is my diabetic consultant, I have know this  doctor for ten years and when something has gone wrong with my health he has always taken control and got me the help I need.
Lucy and I got to hospital early and decided to go for a drink in the hospital cafe and once she got me settled, she went to help a woman also in a wheelchair  to get settled as well. Once Lucy got the drinks for us and she had sat down I heard the woman that Lucy had helped tell the man who was with her," that a lady had helped her to get into the table", the man looked at Lucy and nodded and said "ok". Lucy had passed in their eyes.
When we had finished the drink we made our way to the clinic, this is where we find that our hospital isn't made for wheelchairs, twice we had to ask a woman in an electric wheelchair to move while I went in to get my blood pressure (blood pressure was high again) done and weight measured.

I was then called in to see the consultant, I think he knew what was going on, but he let me have my say and listened sympathetically to what I said. Then Lucy had her say about what she thought and that how  I am with my mobility was causing my health and diabetic care to go down hill. Everybody in the room including a junior doctor agreed and my consultant said he would have a word with who ever was going to deal with me, I have to find out who it is and phone the diabetic consultants secretary . The consultant came up to our expectations and we are both glad that we got him involved. Our new GP didn't think he would but I know him well and both Lucy and I knew he would help.

So that's the hospital appointments done and I have been treated with dignity, sympathy  and absolute care, so why can't the orthopaedic department treat me the same.

Take care

Amanda.


1 comment:

  1. Well Mandy, it's good to hear that you've been treated with the respect you deserve. Let's hope you get a better service from orthopaedics and quickly as well.

    Hope you're both having a good weekend.

    Love

    Susan xxx

    ReplyDelete