Tuesday 18 September 2012

I've Been Assessed !

Today (Tuesday) I had two lovely visitor's they were from our borough council, I asked the council  for help last week as my mobility has gone down hill a lot since moving to Taunton.

So they came up the stairs introducing themselves and asked me loads of questions, about my medical problems, what I wanted them to help me with etc..
They looked in the bathroom and could immediately see what the problems were (a low toilet and deep bath) and told me that yep they could help me definitely in that room.
We then went into the bedroom where I explained about  Lucy because of all the makeup and accessories inc wigs on a stand that were on the side table and on top of a bookshelf,( they thought it great and said I must be having loads of fun doing girly things). I could get assistance here as well with a rail put on the bed so I could get support when getting out of bed.Then came the biggy, the stairs they would have to get permission from the landlord to help me with this problem, they thought another stair rail could be put up But as I said to them this was a bit of a Grey area because our house is privately rented and permission would have to be sought as it meant something being put up and made permanent. So I left it in their hands and would see what happens. Everything was fine downstairs and I needed no help there.

So I was then given a support care plan. This is how the care team are going to support me, here are the basics: I'm going to get aids for the bath and toilet, chair raisers and bed rail and hopefully a second stair rail. I'm going to get a visit from a social services care team, in regards to benefits I could claim including a new wheelchair, they even said maybe a electric one ( but that is very doubtful and I'm not counting on that at all). though I was warned I might have to wait three to four months for a visit as there is a waiting list But once I get on the list then the sooner they can sort me out the better.
. I'm going to get the next visit from the support team on the 1st October after my holiday  because by then again hopefully all the aids I need and been assessed for will have arrived and they can give me more advice and what to do next.
I feel a lot happier now and as I was told by my volunteer group you never know what help you can get unless you ask for it.
So if you are reading this and need help with mobility, benefits or just someone to talk to never be afraid to ask for help you might be surprised what help is out there.

Amanda. xxx


3 comments:

  1. That's great news Mandy. It can be surprising just how much help is available when you seek it. Let's hope it all makes things easier for both of you.

    Love

    Susan XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,

      It wasn't so much a case of knowing help was there but more knowing when to ask for it.

      We have only now realised that Mandy is disabled. This was not denial on our part (and denial is like an old enemy to me!) but more like not knowing we were at that stage.

      Things seem to look a bit more positive in this regard. Rather than keep on struggling, we may no have some tools to help Mandy get on with life in less pain.

      Lucy x

      Delete
    2. Yes Lucy,

      I know exactly what you mean. I had a similar situation in my life some ten years ago. In my case it was more a matter of not realising what could be done.

      I can't speak for your situation, but I always tended to assume that help was something that other people had and not us.

      But, I'm very glad that you are both getting the help you deserve.

      Susan

      Delete