Friday 7 September 2012

Hydrotherapy And A Meeting With Age UK,.

This week seems to have gone so quickly, on Monday I had my training for my voluntary work, I'm
 really enjoying it and it has opened my eyes to a lot of things.

Hydrotherapy. 

 

I also had my first treatment of hydrotherapy on wednesday, this was a new experience and I was hopeful it was going to help me. I'd already changed into my swimming costume at home to save time, so after my name was called by a really friendly nursing assistant, I was led to the hydrotherapy pool. I was asked to give  my crutches to the assistant and was given a walking frame instead. It was for safety reasons, I was then asked to go up a ramp and then down into the pool to meet my new physiotherapist who was going to help me with this miracle cure.

She examined my knee in the water and then I was told, "Hhhhmmm this therapy might work for you! I would like you to try this treatment for four weeks, BUT  if you feel that it isn't working then I advise you to go back to your GP". To say I was gutted to hear this news is an understatement but me being an optimist I thought to myself  I'm going to give it a chance!. So I was given some exercises to do with flippers on and by the end of the half hour I was given, I was in pain. I staggered out of the pool and got changed I was met by the assistant who told me that I was to take it easy for the next couple of days as I would be sore and was given a new appointment for next Thursday 13 September.

I was delayed getting out of the hospital, as the air ambulance was taking off and was told to stay inside the hospital door by a porter, who told me, " that because of the updraught that is caused by the helicopter taking off, they have to stop the traffic coming into the hospital, this includes ambulances". He then had to close the automatic doors and the helicopter took off with no difficulties and after a cheerful goodbye from the porter I was allowed out and went to meet dad who was picking me up. I had my lunch and then got ready for an important meeting from another voluntary organisation, that I was going to get involved in.

 

Age UK.

 

This was a meeting that I knew would be fun, the manager sounded lovely on the phone and really wanted to meet me, she said she would be bringing someone else as she was training up a new manager and that her companion would be looking after me when she had left the association.
They arrived and the first thing both of them did was give me a hug, this surprised me and I was a little taken back and both of them started to giggle and said "welcome to age UK "!. They then sat down and the trainee manager did the talking, she told me what the work would be,( I explained what I would be doing in my last blog). I said that I knew what it would entitle and I was looking forward to starting with them and she said that age UK were really looking forward to me starting with them as well.

So it was decided that I start to volunteer with them in October after my holiday because by then my ID card would be ready, she said that taxi fares would be met by age uk, so I shouldn't worry about anything concerning travel. They then gave me another hug and said goodbye and I would hear from them soon.



That's all my news for this week Lucy and I are going out for the day tomorrow (Saturday) and it's not in town, so I'll update my blog to let you know where and what happened on Sunday. As for today (Friday) to say that I am sore is not the word I can hardly walk but if it does me some good then it must be worth it, shouldn't it ???????
Take care
Mandy.
xxxxxx




1 comment:

  1. Mandy,

    I do hope the hydrotherapy helps, especially after the effort involved. Hopefully next week's session will be easier.

    Age UK sound like a nice group of people and it must be lovely to feel so welcome. I'll bear them in mind for future years!!!

    I'm looking forward to hearing about this weekend and of course seeing you both soon.

    Susan XXX

    ReplyDelete