Wednesday 29 August 2012

Voluntary Work News.

Hi All,
I hope you had a nice weekend, I got a phone call this afternoon from a voluntary Association called AgeUK.
 I applied six weeks ago for a voluntary position,with the association but when someone came to see me to have a chat about the job, I found that I wouldn't be able to do it, due to having to chaperone people to hospital and doctors and solicitors. This I wouldn't be able to do due to my knee.
The lady went away and I was left a little bit sad  but before she left she took my details for a CRB (criminal records bureau) check just in case anything else came up that they think I would be right for and they would get in touch if something came up. The check came back with me being cleared of everything last week.

Well that phone call which I didn't expect to happen, happened today. The manager of a project called " age UK togetherness", phoned me and said "that they would really like me to join them". I was a bit taken back a bit because she sounded so eager, so I asked her what the project was, and she said that they get loads of phone calls from residential and nursing homes with residents who were worried about things, this could be financial, family, social worries or just wanted a chat to someone who wasn't involved in their care and just to talk about how they are getting on in a care home.

The manager explained to me that because of my career in care and my experience they thought that I would be a great asset to them.  I did explain to her that" I had no transport of my own and my mobility was bad", she replied that's was fine they knew all that, and that  and not to worry it would all be sorted and transport would be provided by taxi's paid by them.

I made arrangements for her to come and see me for a chat and for my photo to be taken for my ID card on next Thursday 6 September. So we shall have to see what happens, but it does sound interesting and won't get in the way of my other voluntary job.
 I have been so busy and happy since we have moved to Taunton and learnt such a lot, met loads of new people and made loads of new friends and by the sounds of it there's more to come.



Take care everyone and I'll chat soon.
Amanda.
xxxx

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how exciting...Good for you!

    Mandy

    PS: Great pix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandy,

    This all sounds so good, and I'm pleased that you are not only kept busy but you're enjoying it too.

    Once more moving to Taunton was a positive thing for you all.

    Take care

    Love

    Susan XXX

    ReplyDelete