Tuesday 3 July 2012

Monday And Tuesday

Monday.

I saw the careers officer today and it opened my eyes a bit on how things have changed in trying to get back to work. She explained that I could see her three times this year for forty five minutes and it was my opportunity to tell her what I wanted and what help I needed to get back to work.

She advised me that due to me needing surgery on my knee and seeing a consultant that I shouldn't really look for work at this moment as I wasn't sure what was going to happen, so the best thing I could do was prepare what I wanted to do eg, I could sort out what training I needed, being on benefit I can enrol on any course in a college for free, go on a government training scheme which would give me the qualifications I needed for the work I was thinking about doing. Work experience, which she said I could do as a volunteer would suit me at the moment, the officer advised me that as long as the voluntary work was what I could do, for example working in a charity shop was out as this meant I had to stand up sometimes and so I could be classified I could this work as paid and the way my knee is I wouldn't be able to cope with it as a paid job.

Then when I showed her my C.V. she said that I needed to redo it and the main problem was that I had no personal statement. this had to be three sentences long saying why I should be in a certain job that I was going for. She said though that there was no hurry and don't panic as I couldn't go for any jobs yet and she would see me before I went for anything that needed my C.V. I did say I was very surprised at this as my partners C.V was in the same format and it got her some interviews and a job But she was adament that that was how it was supposed to be, so I gave in and said I would change it.

 So armed with websites dealing with voluntary work, training and how to create my C.V, I went away happy knowing that at least I was starting to get somewhere. I have written to Age UK and M.I.N.D (MIND is a voluntary organision giving support and advice with mental issues) asking for information on how I can volunteer for things.

Tuesday.

Today saw me go to the diabetic nurse I know it sounds silly but I was looking forward to seeing her, she was the one that got me an appointment with the consultant earlier than expected. So when I walked into her room I gave her a big thankyou and she hugged me, aaaahhhh. She said that I had to tell the consultant that my knee had gone bad and had swollen up quite badly, she asked if I was walking on it a lot and I replied a little but I had to, to get around.
 I have been checking my blood sugar four times a day for three weeks like she asked me and after checking the chart she said that it was what she expected and would I like to come off the metformin. I had to do this slowly at first so for a week I have to take one tablet three times a day instead of two three times a day, then not take any for the next week. Again I have to take my blood sugar four times a day   I have had my insulin increased also so we shall have to see how I go.

This is the day that Lucy has her meetings at work and all my thoughts go to her and I can't wait until she gets back to tell me how it went.
Tomorrow is Lucy's big day and I will update as appropriate......



5 comments:

  1. So proud of you to read of your progress, even though it may seem a snail's pace to you.

    I have to applaud both of you for writing your blogs and sharing your lives with us.

    I'm with you in Spirit as you plug on. Blessings on you both. Gia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Gia, I am enjoying writing my blog and I must admit I find it fun. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write very well, and I'm enjoying reading your blog. Good luck to both of you as you move forward!

    And, thanks for taking the time to share...

    Hugs,

    Mandy Sherman

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mandy, thanks for being a follower of my blog. I'd like to return the gesture. Just rying to figure out how to do it. Hope I get it figured out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean to say Amanda...sorry.

    ReplyDelete