Thursday 19 July 2012

Physio's, Consultant's And Injections.

 Morning.

It was a really busy day for me yesterday  (Wednesday). At 10.00am I saw the physio at the doctors surgery, after having a mix up at the reception desk, they thought I was seeing a doctor instead of the physio. Somebody had got the appointment mixed up, they eventually realised what had happened and I was apologised to.

 So I took my seat and after five minutes was called in to the physio's room.
 He asked me all questions relating to my right knee and not my left, so I explained that I was here to see him about my left knee, which was also starting to hurt.
 One question he asked me made me laugh "why did I want to come and see him, and what do I think he could do to help me"?  I must admit I was honest and said to him, "not much I haven't got much faith in physio's I've had three and none could help me".
 He then asked me if he could look at both my knees, so I said yes and that's when he told me after the examination, that he  couldn't do anything and it was best to see what the consultant said in the afternoon, whether he wanted to see me again but the way I was at the moment anything he would try  make things worse.  He also said that he didn't think the consultant would agree to an operation as I was too young for any intervention but then again maybe because I was in so much pain he might agree to surgery for me.

 So I dutifully left the room angry, I called dad so he could pick me up and had a rant in the car, I was also in pain due to the manipulation that the physio did , so when I got in I made myself a cup of tea, had some painkillers and went to our lounge to have a chill out before seeing the consultant later that day.

Afternoon.

Lucy finished work at 11.00  that morning so she could take me to Yeovil Hospital for 3.30pm that afternoon, after a run and a bath she then, had to cheer me up because of my conversation with the physio earlier that morning. So off we go the weather was appalling and it seemed as if 100 buckets of water was just hitting the car all through the the journey. All I kept saying in the car when we were going to the hospital was "thank you Lucy, I really do appreciate what you do for me", I also felt like crying as the chat with the physio was still going through my mind.

When we finally reached the hospital we then had to wait for a parking space for about 10 minutes, the barriers would only let someone in if there was a parking space, so at least that was something, we just had to keep an eye out for the space that we knew was there.
It was still raining hard and both of us got soaked as we made our way to the enterance, we found a coffee shop and had something to drink and dry off a bit.

We got to the orthopaedic outpatients  dept and waited to be called in to the room. Both of us have brought books but we only had to wait about half hour until we were called in.

The consultant calls me in and then the fun begins (not).
The Doctor is on the defensive as soon as we walk in and if Lucy wasn't with me I think I might have had a worse time than I did his posture and tone weren't nice, he'd obviously been tipped off that I was trouble and he wasn't taking any arguments that I was going to give him, that was how it seemed to Lucy and I.
 He checked my mri scans and my right knee then he came and sat next to me and I think then he realised that I wasn't kidding and I was in pain, he softened his tone a bit and told me he wasn't willing to do an operation yet and it was only the last thing that he would try. He thought maybe just to try and see if it worked, I could have a cortisone injection into the knee and I could either come back for another appointment, or he could do it there and then, I'm not that stupid to suggest I come back to Yeovil as it is a drive and the parking is not good, so I said I wanted it then.

He gave me the injection and I was really surprised it didn't hurt at all!. Now because I used to be a care assistant I have had to watch my residents have these injections at hospitals or GP's and the howls they gave when they had them, I was ready for some pain so was I  quite surprised when I didn't get any.
After the injection the doctor said he would write to my GP about what he has said to me and if the injection didn't work then we could talk again about an operation.
The doctor then left and we had a chat to the nurse that was in the room. We were asked to stay in the waiting room for 20 minutes But because of the time and the traffic building up we left after 10 minutes and I was fine, we then went food  shopping when we got back to Taunton as it was early enough to do it.

So its now another waiting game to see if this treatment works!   Hopefully if it does then I can start to walk longer distances with my crutches instead of using the wheelchair, which will be great. If not then our GP will be really busy writing to the consultant again.

This morning (Thursday) my right knee feels as if I've been kicked by a horse but I did get told it would be ache a bit, so I'm taking it easy and praying that the knee will settle down and get better.
Next week not much is happening, no appointments are made for me to go anywhere this is because Lucy and dad have got M.O.T's, so I can just relax and get on with my IT course.

Asking a question (one of many bloopers).
Looking innocent again!


Take care everyone and I'll chat soon.

Quick Update.

I had a phonecall at lunchtime from a voluntary service I have applied for, they must've like the sound of me because they have asked me to come in to have two training days. They have said they have ordered a taxi for me for the two days and I dont have to pay for it, also as the training days are all day from 10.00 am to 4.30 pm I will have a free lunch as well for both days. Well you know me and food so I couldn't really turn them down could I !  I t just sounds too good to be true and if I manage to get a job, the voluntary work won't interfere with it as it would be at night or evening and I can choose when I want to do it. They also said that again any travel I have to do would be paid for WOW.





2 comments:

  1. Mandy,

    I could weep along with you having read this. If this is their idea of care then heaven help all of us. You deserve far better treatment than this, both medical and personal. I just hope that the injection helps in some way.

    Much better news about the voluntary work. You are becoming a busy girl! I hope the IT course is going well.

    Love

    Susan XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan as for the IT course thats another story lol. Thanks for reading my blog. xxxx

    ReplyDelete